The world is changing, your needs are changing, almost daily. You need a nimble firm that delivers expertise with objective and informed insights built on a platform of unequalled collaboration and shared knowledge. That is what we strive to achieve with every project.
We provide client-centric services in:
- Building Enclosure Consulting for New Construction
- Design assistance to architects, developers, contractors and owners
- Guidance on detailing, product and material selection, durability, maintenance and expected service life
- Thermal and hygrothermal simulations of the enclosure
assemblies – for long-term performance, LEED, energy code
- Building Restoration
Extensive experience in building envelope design and repair, including for roofs, walls, windows and doors, and structural restoration of concrete structures including parking garages, balconies and walls.
- Local problem investigation, such as leaks, drafts, cracking, movements, deterioration of building components
- Building envelope evaluation – whole building or specific components, such as roofs, walls or windows
- Parking garage evaluations
- Balcony evaluations
- Design and tendering of repair solutions
- Services during construction, including construction monitoring, contract administration and project management
- Capital Planning
- Reserve Fund Studies for condominiums and Depreciation Reports for stratas in B.C.
- Building Condition Assessments and Due Diligence Reports when buying, selling or re-financing
- Capital Plans for multi-residential, institutional, commercial, retail and industrial properties
- Performance Audits for condominiums and Warranty Reviews for stratas in BC
- Structural Engineering
Creative and constructive solutions to all types of clients and on all projects, big and small.
- New construction
- Renovations and mechanical alterations
- Seismic evaluations and upgrades
- Seismic restraint of non-structural components
- Construction services, including shop drawings, temporary shoring design, construction loading related load checks
- Feasibility studies and evaluations
- Compliance and peer review
Experience with all building material types: concrete, structural steel, cold-formed steel, masonry, precast concrete, wood, glass and historic materials through a variety of project delivery methods.
- Sustainability and Energy
Through our in-house experts and best-in-class partner roster, we can precisely address your specific Sustainability and Energy needs in new, existing, or building acquisition plans.
We offer advice from how to manage – and save – on energy, carbon and utilities to how to protect your assets long-term by incorporating sustainability into new designs, capital plans, restoration and renewal projects through the following services:
- Energy efficiency recommendations for new and existing buildings through energy audits, energy modelling, GHG, embodied energy and life cycle costing analyses
- Capital Planning that integrates energy efficiency, restoration and renewal measures to achieve a Pathway to NetZero emissions and Decarbonization
- Energy efficiency, restoration and renewal measure review, design and project management
- Feasibility assessment and support in accessing financial grants/incentives and achieving certification under building benchmarking programs
Our team includes several Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certified Professionals who are trained to evaluate and design spaces through the lens of accessibility. Accessibility services include:
- Accessibility audit and Rick Hansen surveys
- Accessibility design improvements for existing buildings
- Accessibility design for new buildings
- Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
Sense provides turnkey mechanical and electrical engineering consulting, including evaluations, design, tendering, construction review, contract administration and project management, for:
- Building automation systems
- Emergency power systems
- Power distribution systems
Our team embraces buildings utilizing technology for greater efficiencies and a greener future. Collectively, with our clients, we look for every opportunity to provide effective solutions, that can be measured by dollars, performance and the impact on our environment.
We greatly appreciate the efforts Sense Engineering made to understand our building and the Strata Corporation’s needs in preparing our Depreciation Report. They were an absolute pleasure to work with.
They guided us from the beginning to the end of the project…What at times seemed overwhelming to our owners became possible and very positive with Sense Engineering.
The quality of your work, your availability, speed of delivery and your courteous nature exceeded our already high expectations. Sense Engineering really saved the day for us.
Sense responded to our need for a building inspection promptly, professionally and courteously. We received the information that we needed, in language that we could understand, which helped us make an informed decision.
Sense coordinated all aspects of our project with surgical precision and were always available to the strata council when needed at all hours of the day…Sense’s teamwork played an integral role in the success of this project, which was completed a month before the originally scheduledcompletion date and came under the original budget
One of the more complex aspects of the engineering process is understanding the subtle and sometimes extreme regional differences that make up the Canadian real estate market. Our team of skilled professionals have built their careers across Canada, in virtually all Canadian marketplaces.